Where should we travel to in summer 2017? We just can’t decide!
I have no idea which city, country or even continent I’ll be on in six months time. I’m 95% sure that it won’t be the same place where Charlie and I are travelling now, but even that’s not certain. As travellers and digital nomads, we feel incredibly lucky to know that we could be anywhere in the world in summer 2017. But the question is, where do we want to go next?
Here are the three trips that we’ve got in the back of our minds for summer — but who knows, maybe we’ll go somewhere else completely! What do you think?
1. Road Trip across North America
It’s every traveller’s dream to do the classic coast-to-coast US road trip at least once. But seeing that Canada is doing free entry to all its National Parks in 2017, we’ve been thinking about shifting the whole trip a few hundred miles north. The result is a totally untested 4000-mile journey that hits both iconic US cities and unmissable Canadian national parks.
- We’d start in the dining/shopping capital of the world: New York, New York
- Explore the urban art scene in Montreal
- Listen to some of the 140 languages spoken in Toronto
- Enjoy some of North America’s best bird-watching at Point Pelee
- Hop across the border to Superior National Forest
- Sample the microbreweries and coffee houses of Portland
- Soak up the coffee culture of Seattle
- Partake in the sights, sounds and smells of Chinatown, Vancouver
- End our trip at Jasper National Park to gawk at the Rockies
2. Backpack South America
In 2015, we set off for a house-sitting adventure in Costa Rica, with the plan of eventually making it to South America… Two full years later and the furthest south we’ve been is Panama! What happened? Well, we got side-tracked by a bucketload of amazing experiences in Central America, such as Guatemala’s oh-so-gorgeous volcanoes and Nicaragua’s stunning lakes.
But events are lining up to make 2017 an extremely tempting time to visit South America, especially as Colombia has been tipped as one of the best countries to visit in 2017 and because of the (almost) peace deal between the Government and the rebels in Colombia. If we do make it to South America this summer, our route would look a little something like this:
- Wander the colourful streets of colonial Colombia
- Amazon Jungle, Andes Mountains, the Galapagos Islands — need I say more about Ecuador?
- Hike the Inca trail to Machu Picchu in Peru and see the floating islands of Lake Titicaca
- Learn about community-based tourism in Bolivia, the South American country with the largest percentage of indigenous people
3. Explore the Baltics
The Baltics is one area of Europe that we’ve always wanted to explore more. Aside from Charlie spending a week eating cinnamon buns in Stockholm before we met and our joint trip to Poland, we’ve not seen any of the other Baltic countries. Last year, my parents bagged themselves an excellent Baltic cruise deal which has got us thinking a bit more about summer cruises.
Norway, Sweden and Denmark are all high on our want-to-visit list. What with the northern lights in Norway, the archipelago in Stockholm and Copenhagen being named a green capital not too long ago, a summer trip to the Baltics sounds pretty awesome to us. Here’s the Baltic travel route we’d want to take:
- Cycle around the canals of Copenhagen
- Get lost in the old town of Kalundborg in Denmark
- Enjoy the trendy cafe culture in Sweden’s Gothenburg
- Take a boat around Stockholm’s stunning archipelago
- Go hiking on glaciers in Norway’s Geirangerfjord
- See the northern lights in Norway from late-September
Where do you think we should travel in summer 2017? And where would you like to travel to?